Nossa Senhora da Graça Church, also known as the Mother Church, dates back to the XVI century. It belonged to the Order of Saint James of the Sword, which can be attested by the cross engraved near the main entrance.
However, there are some people that say that the original church is even older, possibly of the XV century, the date of the holy water font which nowadays is still a part of Nossa Senhora da Graça Church asset.
With a turbulent past, this Church was partially destroyed several times either by natural phenomena such as the 1531 earthquakes or by corsair attacks.
It is necessary to emphasize, among the changes over the centuries, the construction of the tower bell, during the XIX century. In 1959, Vila Nova de Milfontes Church suffered it last major intervention, in order to modernize their facilities.
However, Nossa Senhora da Graça Church retains some of its old features, such as the Main Altar Arc and its Facade.
Annually, during August, Nossa Senhora da Graça Church is the starting point of the fluvial procession, which carries the images of St. Sebastian and Our Lady of Grace trough Mira Mouth waters.
This article is also available in: Portuguese (Portugal)