Vila Nova de Milfontes offers all its visitors the opportunity to perform a large number of outdoor activities. The possibilities are endless and varied. We even risk stating that imagination is the only limit to what you can do in the town known as the “Princess of Alentejo”.
Enjoying a prime location, Vila Nova de Milfontes enjoys two natural landscapes of excellence with the Mira River and the Atlantic Ocean. However, the opportunities do not stop there. The Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and the Vincentian Coast also appeal to the discovery and contact with nature. Just a few miles away, the Cercal and S. Luís Sierras offer a chance to discover other landscapes.
Some of the activities presented here can easily be done “on your own”. However, in some cases it will be more interesting and safer to contact one of the many companies specializing in organizing activities which are based in the town.
Activities In Vila Nova de Milfontes
We just want to emphasize again that this article only wants to present some of the existing options. If you’re not satisfied from merely extending a towel in the sand, you can go for one of the following activities:
- Canoeing – the Mira River offers excellent conditions for the practice of canoeing, which is why dozens of international teams and athletes choose Vila Nova de Milfontes for long stages. Regardless of wishing to learn or trying to train seriously, you will find all the necessary conditions. For more information we recommend that you contact one of several companies featured in Milfontes activities.
- Surf – Some of the beaches in the Parish of Vila Nova de Milfontes offer excellent conditions for surfing. Companies in the area offer courses, lessons and equipment for hire.
- Birdwatching – The banks of the River Mira offer the unique chance to observe a considerable number of birds in an undisturbed natural environment, where tranquility reigns.
- MTB – The best way to explore the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vincentian is surely by MTB. The number of tracks is immense and the various scenarios you may find will surely bring a big surprise to your experience.
- Fishing – The coast of Vila Nova de Milfontes has long been renowned for the excellent facilities it possesses. Bring your rod and try to fill the bucket!
- Boating – How about exploring the Mira River by boat, or embark on a fishing trip onboard?
- Rota Vicentina – This footpath with 350 kilometers follows through Vila Nova de Milfontes, offering the possibility to admire one of the most undisturbed coastlines of Europe.
These are our main recommendations for activities in Vila Nova de Milfontes. Come to Adventure!
This article is also available in: Portuguese (Portugal)